Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
Scriptural Origins of Sri Caitanya-caritamrta Verses
The Caitanya-caritamrta, (the foremost biography of Lord Caitanya, for those not familiar with it), was written mostly in Bengali, but it also contains 851 Sanskrit verses from 53 other sources. This page is a brief overview of our thorough study of the origins of these quoted verses. The main overview category is here. Each of the verses has its own page, showing the verse and its purports from the Caitanya-caritamrta. The verses from the Srimad-Bhagavatam and Bhagavad-Gita also have the verses and purports as they appear there.
These verses are categorized in two different ways.
- You can see them in their order in the Caitanya-caritamrta. We have detailed categories for the Adi-lila, Madhya-lila, and Antya-lila, which are the three sections of the Caitanya-caritamrta. Here you will find a breakdown of how many of the quoted verses are in each chapter, and where they are from.
- You can also find all of the verses grouped by their origin. These categories are presented in the tables at the bottom of this page.
Sri Caitanya-caritamrta consists of a total of 11,555 verses of which 851 verses are drawn from 53 other scriptures.
- Sri Caitanya-caritamrta Adi-lila has a total of 2311 verses in 17 chapters
- 144 verses of the Adi-lila are drawn from different scriptures
- Sri Caitanya-caritamrta Madhya-lila has a total of 6016 verses in 25 chapters
- 571 verses of the Madhya-lila are drawn from different scriptures
- Sri Caitanya-caritamrta Antya-lila has a total of 3,228 verses in 20 chapters
- 136 verses of the Antya-lila are drawn from different scriptures
Top 10 Quoted Scriptures
- 393 verses of the CC are taken from Srimad-Bhagavatam
- 87 verses of the CC are taken from Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu
- 50 verses of the CC are taken from Bhagavad-gita
- 34 verses of the CC are taken from Vidagdha-madhava
- 21 verses of the CC are taken from Lalita-madhava
- 20 verses of the CC are taken from Brahma-samhita
- 20 verses of the CC are taken from Padma Purana
- 19 verses of the CC are taken from Visnu Purana
- 19 verses of the CC are taken from Govinda-lilamrta
- 16 verses of the CC are taken from Caitanya-candrodaya-nataka