Devotees serve Vanipedia and Vanipedia serves the world - a success formula to save humanity
Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence
The meaning of Vaniseva
Vani means instructions and seva means service. Vaniseva means serving the instructions:
In August of 1970, Śrīla Prabhupāda wrote a letter to one of his leading disciples, Karandhara dasa;
Letter to Karandhara — Tokyo 22 August, 1970: I thank you very much and all the devotees for offering me a garland daily as you were doing when I was physically present. If a disciple is constantly engaged in carrying out the instructions of the Spiritual Master he is supposed to be constantly in company with his Spiritual Master. This is called Vaniseva. So there are two kinds of service to the Spiritual Master. One is called vaniseva and the other is called vapuseva. Vaniseva means as above mentioned, executing the instructions, and vapuseva means physically or personally rendering service. So in the absence of physical presentation of the Spiritual Master the vaniseva is more important. My Spiritual Master, Sarasvati Gosvami Thakura, may appear to be physically not present, but still because I try to serve His instruction I never feel separated from Him. I expect that all of you should follow these instructions.
- The Vanipedia project is all about researching and compiling the teachings of Śrīla Prabhupāda to help improve our ability to follow his instructions. In order for Vanipedia to be completed successfully, a variety of services are required. We consider all these activities to be Vaniseva.
In May of 1977, Śrīla Prabhupāda returned to Vrndavana. When arriving there he spoke the following words;
Prabhupāda: So I cannot speak. I am feeling very weak. I was to go to other places like Chandigarh program, but I cancelled the program because the condition of my health is very deteriorating. So I preferred to come to Vṛndāvana. If death takes place, let it take here. So there is nothing to be said new. Whatever I have to speak, I have spoken in my books. Now you try to understand it and continue your endeavor. Whether I am present or not present, it doesn't matter. As Kṛṣṇa is living eternally, similarly, living being also lives eternally. But kīrtir yasya sa jīvati: "One who has done service to the Lord lives forever." So you have been taught to serve Kṛṣṇa, and with Kṛṣṇa we'll live eternally. Our life is eternal. Na hanyate hanyamāne śarīre [Bg. 2.20]. A temporary disappearance of this body, it doesn't matter. Body is meant for disappearance. Tathā dehāntara-prāptiḥ [Bg. 2.13]. So live forever by serving Kṛṣṇa. Thank you very much.
- Since the physical demise of Śrīla Prabhupāda in 1977, vaniseva has become our lives' sustenance. The successes in our devotional lives depends on us carefully hearing and following the instructions of Śrīla Prabhupāda in his books.
- To develop a core team of members to coordinate and facilitate the volunteers
- To involve hundreds, hopefully thousands of volunteers from around the planet
- To perform Vaniseva together in a positive spirit of cooperation and collaboration
- Offer humble, respectful and loving service to Lord Kṛṣṇa, Śrīla Prabhupāda and all spirit souls
- Derive great pleasure from absorbing ourselves in the brilliance of Śrīla Prabhupāda's profound wisdom
- Encourage people to take up devotional service to Lord Kṛṣṇa via service to Śrīla Prabhupāda and his mission
- Follow the Vaisnava-Brahminical principles of simple straightforwardness, mercy, truthfulness, and action from a non political platform
The Vanipedia projects require help from volunteers having many differnt skills and interests. All followers of Śrīla Prabhupāda are invited to participate in this project
Inquiries can be directed here